Much more than just a delicious creamy addition to your meals, the avocado is a nutrient dense fruit with potential health benefits for all age groups. From expectant mothers and babies to everyone interested in watching their weight and maintaining a healthy heart, avocados are an energy packed super food. Add an avocado today, YOUR BODY WILL LOVE YOU FOR IT!
Angela Berrill - New Zealand Avocado Nutritionist
As a nutritionist, I am passionate about educating people on the importance of diet. I believe avocados are a food people can enjoy while also nurturing their bodies. They not only taste delicious but avocados are a nutritionally dense food, containing many health-promoting nutrients and compounds. Avocados contain good fats for your heart; folate and iron to support pregnancy; fibre to aid digestion and they are a lower fat alternative to traditional fat-based spreads. Being smooth and creamy in texture, avocados are an ideal first food for babies
Angela's Top Avocado Nutritional Benefits:
1. Avocados are a ‘pregnancy-friendly’ food. They are an excellent source of folate, which supports the formation of a baby’s neural tube, and contain iron and fibre which are also important nutrients to maintain during pregnancy.
2. Avocados are an ideal ‘first food’ for babies. Being smooth and creamy in texture they are easily tolerated and provide babies with a range of important nutrients for development.
3. Containing predominately ‘good’ monounsaturated fats, which can help to lower cholesterol levels, avocados are a ‘heart-friendly’ food.
4. Avocados are a ‘tummy-friendly’ food. They contain one of the highest fibre contents of any fruit which helps to aid digestion.
5. Avocados can be a ‘weight-friendly’ food. Avocados are a lower fat alternative to traditional fat-based spreads, such as butter or margarine.