BBQ Nut Crusted Chicken Pitas
BBQ season is upon us, and this crunchy fried chicken, bacon and avocado pita pocket is the perfect way to start the season!
- For the chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs - boneless, skinless (we love Waitoa)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk (we love Anchor)
- ½ cup Flour (we love Chantal Organics)
- 1 cup whole almonds, skin on (we love Alison's Pantry)
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- Avocado cooking oil (Olivado)
- A handful of sage - Finely chopped (we love Superb Herb)
- 4 slices of Bacon (we love Kiwi Bacon)
- ½ cup sliced gherkins ( we love McClures Pickle)
- For the slaw:
- 2 cups shredded Cabbage - green & red
- 1 large avocado (we love New Zealand Avocado)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple syrup
- In a food processor, blitz together the almonds, sage and panko crumbs to make a crumb. Set aside.
- Make a slit to the chunky part of the thighs and butterfly to make the chicken pieces into even thickness.
- Mix together the milk and egg. Set aside.
- Coat the chicken thighs in seasoned flour, then egg mixture, then almond crumb mixture.
- On the bbq over a medium heat, cook the chicken with a little drizzle of avocado cooking oil. 4-5 minutes each side until cooked through and golden.
- At the same time, fry off the bacon until golden and crispy on the bbq.
- Blitz the avocado, lime, maple syrup and vinegar together with a little avocado oil to loosen. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat the cabbage in the avocado dressing.
- Grill the pita pockets on the bbq last minute until warmed through and a little charred.
- Cut pitas in half.
- To assemble, spread some mayo and sriracha inside the half pita, add the avocado slaw, gherkins, chicken and bacon.Serve immediately. Devour!