Bacon corn fritters with avocado salsa
- 250g Farmland thin sliced streaky bacon
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 2 free range eggs
- 300g corn kernels (fresh, thawed from frozen, or canned)
- 1/3 cup Superb Herb coriander, chopped
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- Olivado avocado cooking oil, for frying
- 2 NZ Avocados, scooped & diced
- 3 nectarines or other stone fruit, stone removed & diced
- 1/4 red onion, finely diced
- 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup Superb Herb coriander, roughly chopped
Corn fritters are a summer essential. Ours are extra delicious with bacon and served with a chunky avocado salsa. These are easy to pack up for a picnic at the beach. If you’re bacon obsessed like we are, then feel free to fry up some extra rashers to serve on the side.
- Preheat the grill to high (230°C). Lay bacon rashers on a lined baking tray and grill for 5 minutes, turning halfway, until cooked and crispy. Set half aside (to serve with corn fritters) and finely chop the other half.
- In a large bowl mix all avocado salsa ingredients together. Season to taste, then set aside.
- For bacon corn fritters: add eggs and half the corn to a blender and blend until smooth (or add to a bowl and use a stick blender). Pour into a large bowl and fold in flour, remaining corn, chopped cooked bacon, coriander and spring onion. Liberally season with salt and pepper.
- Serve fritters with avocado salsa and extra bacon. Yum!
- For gluten free diets simply swap the flour for gluten free self raising flour.
- The avocado salsa is also delicious on tacos, or served with fish and chicken.