Avocado, Pumpkin, Haloumi & Quinoa Salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- 500g peeled pumpkin, cut into 2-3cm chunks
- Quinoa salad
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Flesh of 2 firm ripe avocados, sliced
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved
- 6-8 medjool dates, stone removed, chopped
- Handful of baby rocket or spinach leaves
- 3/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To serve
- 200-250g haloumi cheese, sliced 0.5cm thick
- 2 grilled chicken breasts (optional), sliced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 200 deg C.
Line an oven tray with baking paper.
Toss pumpkin with balsamic vinegar, olive oil and honey in prepared tray. Roast until slightly caramelised, 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the quinoa. Combine quinoa and stock/water (with a pinch of salt) in a medium-size pot and bring to the boil. As soon as it boils, cover with a tight-fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to steam, still covered, for 10 minutes.
Fluff up quinoa grains with a fork and toss with roast pumpkin and remaining quinoa salad ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Heat a drizzle of oil in a fry pan on medium heat and cook haloumi slices for 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown, and melted on the inside. Mix all dressing ingredients together and toss with quinoa salad. To serve, divide quinoa salad between bowls and top with slices of cooked haloumi and grilled chicken breast if using.